Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: 414 needs 612

  1. #1
    Inactive Member HiFiPlayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 16th, 2004
    Posts
    170
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Wink

    Hi, All

    My new plan has been started. I want to build a pair of cab for my pair of 414.

    Does anyone has any experienced related with 612 cabs?

    How about its bass reproduction with 414s?

    Does anyone known its frequency response when 414s has mounted on?

    Any suggestion and tips would be appreciated.

    HiFiPlayer

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Post

    >How about its bass reproduction with 414s? Does anyone known its frequency response when 414s has mounted on?

    ====

    Its LF BW capability and cab Vb requirements depends on the model and how much series resistance there is. Hook it up to an SS amp with no series R and the cab will be quite small and roll off below ~200Hz.

    Put in some series R equal to Re to double Qes and it needs a fairly large cab tuned to ~30Hz, or you just pick a cab/vent tuning and keep adding series R until it sounds and/or measures tonally balanced in-room.

    GM

  3. #3
    Inactive Member HiFiPlayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 16th, 2004
    Posts
    170
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Dear GM

    This might be a great suggestion. Cause I have considered to combine 414s with EV cabs to take a test.

    My EV Cab?s dimensions: 31.5H x 22.25W x 14.75D inch with 2 vents
    Roll off below 40Hz when mounted with EV force

    Do you mean that 612 cab is not a best choice for the 414s woofer?

    BTW, I have seen a guy mounted his 515 woofers with Tannoy cabs, 288B and 311-90 horns on the top. Then add a JBL 2405 slot and a 075 bullet. The sound result is unbelievable great. A lot of deepen bass, sweetest vocal and HF overtone. I was wondered why they would such matching and balanced.

    HiFiPlayer

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Post

    Hey HFP,

    >This might be a great suggestion. Cause I have considered to combine 414s with EV cabs to take a test.

    ====

    Worked well enough for me and the few DIYers I knew back before T/S and cheap measuring equipment was available. I used an adjustable volume box, a potentiometer in series with the amp/driver, a DIY Heathkit sine/square wave generator, and cheap V-O-M. I seriously doubt they were truly optimized, but they performed quite well, always getting good reviews from the new owners.

    ====

    >My EV Cab?s dimensions: 31.5H x 22.25W x 14.75D inch with 2 vents
    Roll off below 40Hz when mounted with EV force

    ====

    With some series resistance, this appears to be a good cab to use when tuned around 32Hz if close/up against a wall.

    ====

    >Do you mean that 612 cab is not a best choice for the 414s woofer?

    ====

    Well, it would be for one alignment.

    ====

    >BTW, I have seen a guy mounted his 515 woofers with Tannoy cabs, 288B and 311-90 horns on the top. Then add a JBL 2405 slot and a 075 bullet. The sound result is unbelievable great. A lot of deepen bass, sweetest vocal and HF overtone. I was wondered why they would such matching and balanced.

    ====

    I guess he knows how to properly 'dial in' a speaker system.

    GM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.